It’s that time again

First, my schedule for 2013 (so far, anyway) is now up. Click here to see if I’ll be in your area sometime soon! And to head off the questions of “But why don’t you come to [insert city, state, country, etc]?!” it’s because I go where the conventions are or where my publisher sends me, and if I don’t limit my travel to only a few places each year, then readers won’t get new books. Some writers excel at writing while traveling, but I’ve never managed to write anything worthwhile when I’m on the road, so I have to plan travel around deadlines and that means I’ll never hit all the places readers want me to come to. I hope you understand.

Second, I heard from my publisher that Arcs (Advance Reading Copies) for Twice Tempted will be coming soon. If you haven’t seen the note on my sidebar, I already have a contest up on Goodreads for 10 Arcs of Twice Tempted. In addition to that, I’ll be running some blog contests in the near future giving away more Arcs. If you’re a blogger/reviewer and you want to be sent an advance copy for review purposes, I’m sorry but I don’t have any to give you. I’m only sent a small number of Arcs and those go to contests. You can, however, contact my publicist at Avon and request one by emailing Jessie.Edwards AT harpercollins DOT com (obviously fill in the @ and “.” signs in your email instead of spelling them out). Please note: Contacting Jessie isn’t a guarantee that you’ll get an Arc. Publicity only has a limited number of Arcs, too, but nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

Third, this is also the time where I do my usual request for music recommendations. As many of you know, I write while listening to music and I’ve run through everything on my playlists. I tend to prefer rock and alternative music, with a little pop thrown in for good measure. Some bands that frequently appear on my playlists are: Three Doors Down, Breaking Benjamin, Within Temptation, Kings of Leon, The Fray, Coldplay, Florence and the Machine, Vertical Horizon, Staind, Pink, One Republic, Adele, Sarah McLachlan, Smashing Pumpkins, and Seether. If you have any song recommendations from bands like these, please share them in the comments. You guys are responsible for over half my playlists with your recommendations, so thank you in advance :).

And finally, Happy New Year, everyone! Hope 2013 is treating you well so far.

Comments

1. Stephanie says

Ravenscode. They are kind of local but they do have songs on itunes. I like My Darkest Days as well as Cissy previously suggested.

2. Jen says

You should try Reece Mastin. He’s a new Australian artist and his songs are pretty good. The ones that i have heard are classified as rock so you might like them.
    The songs that i like and are popular are:
    Goodnight
    Shut up and kiss me
    Shout it out
    Rockstar
    Here is a youtube link to Shout It Out the music video:

3. Nat says

You might like The Civil Wars. They’re great. Since you have The Fray there, you might like them. They’re not really similar melodies as such, but they have a really earthy vibe and deep lyrics with great music.

4. :Liz says

When will you write Ian’s love story, cause I cant wait for that one!!! Its going to take a truly impressive woman to make that vampire a better man, so please let us know when that book is going to come!

• Luisa Lima says

That would be awesome! I totally second that!

I think a woman for Ian should be as “moral-less” as him. Just to tease him until he is madly in love.
      It would be amazing if she were very common, so that no one would understand why he is so attracted to her. hahhahaha

=PPP

5. Emily says

When I write I listen to movie soundtracks. Aything from animated stuff like the Lion King, Tarzan and Shrek to musicals like Moulin Rouge and Chicago to stuff like the Queen of the Damned. I even have footloose ripped to my computer. It’s weird but it really works for me. The music I just listen to is more 80′s stuff like Queen, Prince, Elton John, Aerosmith and so on. I’ve been told enough that my taste in music is weird so I don’t know if this helps but I hope it does =)Good Luck, I can’t wait for March =)

6. Laura says

I noticed you had Within Temptation, so I’d recommend Nightwish. They are a Finnish band that sings in English. Everything they’ve put out is on iTunes. Also, I love your books. I can’t wait for March.

7. Tornado says

You need some classic stuff: The Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, Jeff Beck, Fleetwood Mac, Eddie Hazel, Jimi Hendrix, Heart, Santana.
    Alternative and/or acoustic folk stuff: Grizzly Bear, The Xx, The Civil Wars, Damien Rice.

Some singles: “Good Intent” by Kimba. “Maybe Next Year” by Meiko. “Luv Song” by Jane Jensen.

8. fan in California says

I recommend Dead Sara — Emily Armstrong’s voice is fabulous!! And I still always like Paramore — Hayley Williams is another gal with a great voice!!

9. Parawriter says

All excellent music choices. Check out some Apocalyptica also. And PLEASE give some thought to writing a story for Ian. The more I get to know him in your books, the more I see him in a different light. He has a wonderful back story and an excellent future with an incredible woman, I just know it. And oh, boy, is he ever hot in bed, and every where else he can get her alone, yes?

10. Jamie says

Fleet Foxes, Broken Frames, Flaming Lips (more specifically “The Yeah, Yeah, Yeah Song” is amazing, fun, and just upbeat), Imogene Heap is EXCELLENT for story writing, Ingrid Michelson, and Yurima is an amazing pianist, his album could inspire many love stories when you’re in the need of a scene that you want to ooze romance.

11. Jamie says

Also, Two Steps From Hell is excellent for some ass kicking. It’s mainly instrumental but it sends chills up my spine and gets me pumped every time. Very climatic and excellent for any fierce, dramatic scene.

12. Lynda says

I’m not sure my comment posted because I don’t see it, so I’ll try again. My son played me a song from one of his albums by a band named “Imagine Dragons.” The song is called “It’s time” and I really liked it. From the music you listed, I thought you might enjoy this band too. And I just had to try a band called “Imagine Dragons!”

13. says

There’s a band that’s on my playlist these days that’s called Imagine Dragons. I can’t just pick a song to recommend, but “It’s Time” is their biggest success so far, must you try it.

14. says

Hi Jeaniene, I am a big fan of you from Austria-Europe.
    I absolutely adore Cat and Bones and also Ian and Vlad also are part of my favourite Characters.
    I wanted to thank you for your great work and can´t await the new book of the series! :D

You wanted to have some new bands, so here are some recommendations:
    I recently listen a lot to “Hollywood Undead”. The have may pop parts in their songs and in my opinion you can´t just put them in one genre ‘caus the have so many differences in their works-in a good way.
    I would also recommend “Fort Minor” (especially the song Kenji), “Lovers and Liars”, “Marianas Trench”, “Poets of the Fall” (but I think the are not really what you look for), “The Rasmus” and “The Offspring”.

I hope I have at least helped you a little bit :)
    Greets from Austria, Kerstin ;)

15. Leah says

When I think of Cat, I always think of The Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Phenomena. But for other listening pleasure, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Carbon Leaf, The Apples in Stereo, and of course, The Pixies.

16. Stephanie says

Three Days Grace especially their new song “Chalk Outline”. We Are The Fallen “Bury Me Alive” and “Burn” similar to Within Temptation, and Flaw one of my favorite old bands. Their cd “Through the Eyes” is one of the best rock cd’s I have ever heard.

17. Damoc says

Hello Jeaniene,

French fan here :)

I would advise for Billu Talent. I realy like Worker Bees.

On the subject of Ian story, well, I’m not as thrilled as others would be. The reason lies mainly in the fact that when you follow a series involving romance and seemingly immortal beings, I’m much amazed that in a very short time span, every long-time bachelor will find an adequate companion. As though potential ‘mates’ couldn’t be found before. For example in a manner of 10 years you have Bones, Spade, Mencheres and Vlad to go couple. If you look at others writers like Nalini Singh or Lynsay Sands it is quite similar. So for me I wouldn’t be thrilled by a Ian romance unless maybe with some kind Road Runner/ Will E Coyote scheme because it will require a really dedicated person to pin Ian down. He is quite slippery.

• Kathryn Lierly says

I agree that Ian is going to be a challenge for anyone who wants to spend a lifetime+ with him. But I think that it is reasonable for him to find a partner within the Cat & Bones or Vlad timeline.

18. Anonymous says

Life is Beautiful – Sixx A.M.
    Bullet in My Hand – Redlight King
    Tainted Love – Marilyn Manson
    Don’t Fear the Reaper – Blue Oyster Cult
    Headstrong – Trapt
    Monster You Made – Pop Evil

19. paula says

Neko Case – This Tornado Loves You

If you haven’t discovered Neko yet, you should give her a try. Her songs have a lot of very creative imagery especially her most recent album, “Middle Cyclone”.

20. Cait says

Elle Goulding came out with a new album a little while back.
    Halycon or Figure 8 remind me of some of the feeling that Leila/Cat have in your books.

21. Tori says

Airborne Toxic Event – All I Ever Wanted
    – Sometime Around Midnight

Neko Case (so awesome) – Man Eater

Walk the Moon – Anna Sun

Eve 6 – Here’s to the Night
    – Think Twice
    – Inside out

22. Crystal says

there is one song that i can think of it is a song that my husban has said that fits us. that is Home by phillip phillips. i love that song and it has something in the somg that you might be able to use for inseration. thanks for you books.

23. Kelly says

A band called Otherwise. Their first albut “True Love Never Dies” is out and is great. The song “Soldier” is amazing and also “Heaven”.

24. Huetran says

Maybe give these a try?

Lana Del Ray- Born to Die Album (Summer Time Sadness, National Anthem, Blue Jeans, etc. )

The Knife – Heartbeats

GAh, I am obsessed w/ you books by the way! Thanks for such awesomeness ^^!